Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Miami bound... and Panama tomorrow!

Well friends, only one more day until I am in Panama!

The last few days have been filled with running errands, purchasing last-minute things, and seeing the last few people here in Charlotte. It's certainly been a whirlwind.

For any of those interested, here is what I am taking for the next 2 years that will (hopefully) weigh less than 80 pounds!

Clothing:
3 pairs jeans
1 nicer pair of black pants
1 pair khakis
1 pair capris
4 knee-length skirts
3 pairs shorts
2 pairs running/frisbee shorts
rain jacket
poncho (yes... both)
Northface (old, thin jacket)
2 light sweaters
5 t-shirts
2 long-sleeve t-shirts
5 normal/nicer t-shirts
4 button-down shirts
3 long-sleeve shirts
5 tank tops
2 sets sleep pants/sleep tank tops
underware (lots)
3 bras
3 sports bras
socks (lots)

Shoes:
tennis shoes
Chacos
Flip Flops (mainly for showering)
Silver walking-type shoes (for teaching)
1 pair nicer flats (for the occasional dressy event)

Toiletries:
small bottles of body wash
shampoo
conditioner
toothbrush
toothpaste
floss
small bottle of shaving cream
razor
make-up remover
face lotion
make-up (just a little...)
hairbrush
small lotion
sunscreen
bugspray
tiger balm (helps heal bug bites/protect against them - my friend Veronica swears by it!)
neosporin
cortizone cream
bandaids
gauze
aloe vera
thermometer
a few iodine pills to purify water

Other things:
lantern (rechargeable), headlamp & flashlight
Nook
laptop
camera
battery recharger (AA  AAA)
Photos to put on my wall
gifts for host families (books of NC stuff & NC soap)
umbrella
letters & a couple of books from friends
bible
notecards to write people (just a few)
PC forms and paperwork I've accumulated

Bags:
Camping backpack (Osprey Ariel 65)
Duffel
Plane bag

I'm sure I've left a few things off of this list, but it's pretty extensive as is... so there you have it. The majority of my life for the next two years. Seems crazy!!

Yesterday, especially, was very stressful and emotional. Saying goodbye to the last few people except my parents, and trying to scramble to get all of my stuff together. Not a surprise that it's coming together at the last minute. It's been hard thinking of everyone and everything that I'm leaving behind for two years. While it's true that I will have some means communication - I won't be completely MIA - it's still hard to know that I'm leaving people who are so dear to me. I can only reconcile this by thinking of the incredible experiences that I will have, how many amazing people I will surely meet (both other PCVs and Panamanians), and how I will, hopefully, make some sort of impact on at least a few people there in return.

This whole thing definitely seems like a leap of faith. I don't know where I will be living, who I will be living with, who I will be teaching, what age exactly I will be teaching.... but I know that I will grow in ways that I can't even imagine right now. I was told yesterday by a great friend that an RPCV told him that she had some really awful days during her 2 years of service. But almost all of the best days of her life were during those same 2 years. It will certainly be hard at times, but in the end, it will most certainly be worth it. I think God has been leading me to do this, and I have to trust that he will get me through the bad times and lead me to enjoy the amazing experiences that are waiting for me. I can't wait to meet all the people in Group 70 at Staging today and find our way to Panama tomorrow!!

Please be in touch via email and Facebook and I will respond as soon as I can! Letters and packages are great too.

Also, I have the absolute best friends in the world. Thanks especially to Kelsey and Christine who organized getting "plane letters" from a ton of my friends. These mean more to me than you guys know! So thank you!

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Sav!!!!! I have already bookmarked your blog and cant wait to hear more! love you

    ReplyDelete